New Unit College Scouter Reserve Position

In recent past, the only position you could use to register the 18 -21 year olds was as an Assistant Scoutmaster. The National Council has made a new position for traditional Scouting units. The position, Unit College Scouter Reserve, is available for troops with a minimum age requirement of 18. This position uses the same application, fees and registration process, as any other adult volunteer, including a criminal background check, but the only training requirement is Youth Protection training.

As your unit undergoes Internet Rechartering, I would ask you to consider the level of involvement of the 18 – 21 year olds in your unit to determine whether they should be moved from Assistant Scoutmaster (position code SA) to Unit College Scouter Reserve (position code 92U).

• If the young man is away at college for most of the Scouting year and is only around on holidays and summer vacation, then the Unit College Scouter Reserve is the appropriate registration until they are home from school and available to take all the appropriate adult training courses.

• If the young man is active in the unit (e.g. attends one to two meetings a month and participates in several camping trips during the Scout year), then registering him as an Assistant Scoutmaster is the correct action. He should be encouraged to participate in the Scout Leader Specific and Outdoor Leader Skills training as it will make him a more valuable asset to your unit.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Council Registrar, Fran Callahan at, 973-765-9322 ext 256 or by email at [email protected].

Yours in Scouting,

Wayne Hampton,
Council Commissioner

To view the full PDF document, please click here.